[AT] Some ads from the 12/11 Lancaster Farming

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Dec 12 10:53:51 PST 2004

Even for the rare ones, that is beyond belief, Charlie.  But then again,
I may be out of touch.  A colleague and friend at the university
collected and built pedal cars for many years.  It was one of several
collections he had including cast iron implement seats, old tools, hay
carriages, hog oilers, gas pumps, etc.  He died of a stroke and a year
later his widow sold all the collections at auction.  It was
exceptionally well advertised and the auction house was jam packed with
collectors from all over the US.  It was too much of a good thing.
There was so much variety and so many of each item that the collectors
didn't compete against each other very much.  There were hundreds of
pedal tractors -- most were in mint condition.  Some were even NIB.  A
select few brought money in the hundreds of dollars.  The rest barely
reached current "sale" prices in retail stores.  The widow's comment
afterward was that she had lost money on the auction, particularly on
the pedal tractors.  Apparently the tractors were hers and she was
selling them with her husband's collections simply as an expedient way
of getting rid of them as she changed her lifestyle.

Larry