[AJD] Early Unstyled Lighting and AO Lights

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 11:38:41 PST 2004

At our local two cylinder club holiday dinner
yesterday,  Dean and I had a conversation about 7"
lights,  and their use on my 1936 AO (sn 252268)  Dean
was of the opinion that my AO never had lighting as an
option.

   I have PC 674,  and it if fact,  shows a generator,
 and light mounts for the serial number range of my
AO,  but when we get to lights,  they are listed as AR
Only until you get to serial number 259999.  So,  I
gues Dean is correct.

    I ran into another guy at the show that is into
Old D's,  and in the back of his truck he had two
generators.
One was a prestolite,  and I think the other was a
bosch.  He said that they are terribly hard to find,
and that the earlier one (prestolite)  would have been
for optional lighting equipment on a Waterloo Boy or
my 1927 D,  and the later one would have been used on
something like an Unstyled A, B etc...

    So to my questions,  Lights for the AO?  Yes or
No?  and does anyone have any further info on the
early lighting equipment?  He said that each of the
generators he had were in the $1200 to $2500 price
range as they were so hard to come by..  I don't know
anything at all about them but it was very
interesting.

                 Chris

    (the other thing that caused me to chuckle at our
banquet,  I have had my AO listed for sale for 6
months in the club newsletter...  I was no longer
listed in the one that came out a few weeks ago.  At
least 5 people came up to me wondering if I still had
that AR for sale..  )