[AJD] PURCHASER OF # 5 MOWER?

Robert M. Massengale ltcmikem at ktc.com
Sat Dec 11 18:23:05 PST 2004

Jim & Duane -

I sure do thank you for your concerns and taking the time to send me some really
valuable information.  I will readily admit to an excitement about my "new" B that
lends itself to creating an environment where I could overextend myself.  I'll take
both of your cautions to heart.  I've already given some thought to the hand
operated clutch... that's definitely going to be interesting and take some adapting to.
I did some online reading yesterday that provides some scary support to Duane's
warnings about mixing up the foot and the hand.  The story (with pictures)
addressed itself to a fellow new to the tractor world who had a "new" B at a tractor
show.  The show was over and he was loading his tractor on his trailer.  There is a
series of pictures that show his very nicely restored "B" laying on it's side on the
ground beside the tractor.  Speculation is that as he backed the "B" up onto the
flatbed trailer it got going faster than he intended and hit the foot clutch (brake)
instead of the hand clutch.  You don't need to use your imagination... the pictures
are at

http://www.johnnypopper.com/weirddeere/Crash.html

Thanks again to both of you for sharing your experience.

Mike
Robert M. Massengale
Fredericksburg, Texas 78642