[AJD] Disappointment: New JD Book

John Boehm rustyacres at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 06:53:29 PST 2004

As Richard Hain, Green Magazine editor, wrote in one
of his book reviews:

"Being the author of a book on classic John Deere
tractors is a simple one.
1. Learn how to take pretty pictures.
2. Find a couple of collectors who have large
collections.
3. Read a bunch of books and magazines to try to come
up with something to say about the tractors.
4. (Most important) Dont hire an editor who knows
anything about tractors.
5. Send it all to Hong Kong to be printed.
The hardest part may be coming up with an original
title."

Unfortunately, Richard is right and Motorbooks, the
publisher of Leffingwell's books, is the worst of the
bunch. I know Randy Leffingwell personally and agree
that he is a great photographer. However, the
seemingly endless recycling of the same material,
along with many factual errors, has kept me from
buying any of these "coffee table" books for a long
time.

John Boehm
Woodland, CA
Visit my web site at http://vintagetractors.com