[AT] What is a Relay?

Bigdog dbigdog at columbus.rr.com
Fri Dec 10 08:18:04 PST 2004

Ricky,
    A relay is a switch which uses a low power circuit to control a high power circuit.   The relay is an electromagnetic switch which uses a low current (in this case) circuit to pull in the contacts which closes the switch in a high current circuit (the lights)  The control circuit (light switch) is low power which does not require heavy wiring to provide power to the relay coil.  The switch circuit is heavy duty for higher current ratings that the lights require.
    Simply stated, it is a small switch controlling a big switch.

Bigdog