[AT] One additional wiring note

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Fri Dec 10 04:43:09 PST 2004

Yes Cecil,  I was familiar with that wiring practice, having seen it in lots
of farm houses as a child.  It just never occured to me that I was living in
a house that had it, that it was in such bad condition and that so many
appliances had been added on to the system.  I was quite a shock when I
discovered it.  Particularly the discovery that the bare wires were sagging
down and touching flamable parts of the house structure.   There were lots
of those old houses down this way.  This particular one supposedly started
off with 2 rooms and a side porch.  That portion of the house was said to
have been a slave house prior to the civil war.  Then side porch became a
hall when two identical (but reversed) rooms were added to the other side.
It had a very high pitched hip roof with roll tin roofing.

I actually liked the house a lot.  It was on a big lot, back off the road a
bit and it just felt like home.  Very peaceful although not very comfortable
in the winter.  When I moved out a friend of mine moved in.  He was later
able to buy the place.  (quite an accomplishment since it was part of a
large farm and had been in the same family since Revolutionary war times)
He fixed it up a good bit and is still there.  I guess I should stop by and
see what he has  done with it.

When I lived there the landlord had a D-10 Allis with a 3pt hitch mounted
log skidder rig that was the slickest thing I had seen before or since.  I
don't know where he got it and have never seen another one.  It had a PTO
powered winch and a set of fairleads for the winch cable to run through.
There was a dog to hold the end of the log secure once it was pulled up to
the tractor.  Seems like it might have had some sort of outriggers to use
while winching but I don't remember for sure.  A couple of times each winter
he would  go back in his woodlot, cut  a big straight white oak, limb it and
drag it to my house where he would cut it in blocks.  He left the splitting
to me but the wood was included in the price of the rent.

I guess I can claim credit for the house still existing.  It was getting in
disrepair when I talked him in to renting it to me.  There were holes in the
proch deck where the cows had wondered up there and stepped through the weak
spots.  If I hadn't moved in it and fixed it up a bit when I did it would
probably be gone now.

Charlie