[Ford-ferguson] Dexta Radiator

David Buchner buchner at wcta.net
Thu Dec 9 07:16:34 PST 2004

So, here it is snowblowing season again and I wasted all summer and
fall putting an addition on my house instead of polishing my boat and
doing tractor repairs like I said I was going to.

So I'm scrambling to replace the radiator in my Fordson Dexta which was
leaking like a sieve last winter -- and hasn't managed to magically
cure itself over the summer.

The consensus of my various sources has been that simply repairing this
old a radiator is likely to fail since it'll just spring a leak
somewhere else. It is 45 years old, after all. I looked into having it
"re-cored" where they attach a new vertical-tubes-with-fins middle part
to my existing top and bottom "tanks" -- between 300 and 500 dollars. A
local shop had a source, and was going to sell me a brand spankin' new
one made in Ireland for about $300, so I figured why not go with that
-- less driving back and forth and waiting. But when I went to actually
order it, it turned out to be --surprise!-- out of stock in the
warehouse, supposed to be on the way, they were expecting it a week
ago, could be weeks or months...

Any other options? Any other sources I should try? The couple of
old-tractor-parts businesses on the web I called don't have one. The
last time I tried ordering a part for this tractor from a Ford dealer,
they looked it up and figured that as long as it had a part number in
their computer it was available, they put in an order, and I had to
wait a month for them to find out that, no, it really wasn't available
anymore -- that was just a tease.

Should I try getting it repaired after all?