[AJD] 1st Tractor

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Wed Dec 8 17:47:15 PST 2004

Mike, you really ought to get an owner's manual for the tractor before you
try driving it.  Or at least ask someone to scan the starting instructions
for a B and email it to you.

John Deere manuals:   1-800-522-7448

If you're really starting with zero knowledge, here are a few safety tips:

1. Clutch is disengaged when the lever is pulled back toward the seated
operator.  Do not let the tractor run for prolonged periods with clutch
disengaged.  It is hard on the clutch.

2.  Do not disengage the clutch and get off the tractor while it is still in
gear.  One nudge (or even vibration) could re-engage the clutch, and off the
tractor would go!

3.  When you decide to pull something with the tractor, the ONLY appropriate
attachment point is the drawbar.  If you put a chain around the rear axle,
the tractor may very well rear up and come over on top of you.

4.  Back your tractor up the ramps onto the trailer.  If you drive it up
normally, it may rear up and come over on top of you.

5.  Most old JDs have leaky fuel petcocks.  Fuel will leak down into the
carburetor.  Many old JDs have leaky carburetor float valves.  Fuel leaking
thru the petcock will then flood the carb and flow into whichever cylinder
has an open intake valve.  When you then remove the sparkplug and leave the
sparkplug wire near the cylinder head while you pull on the flywheel, the
fuel gushing out of the open sparkplug hole will be ignited by the sparking
wire and shoot out like a flamethrower.

6.  Pull the top of the flywheel toward the front of the tractor in order to
start the engine.  In other words, turn the flywheel counterclockwise.

Have fun!

-Karl