[AJD] JD - Model "C"

Paul O mrgp at fwi.com
Wed Dec 8 13:43:06 PST 2004

I am having trouble getting things on the list. I sent this out before and
it came back. I am trying one more time.
Paul O

My response to the interest in the Model C

For those interested in doing some research, J R Hobbs book on 'The John
Deere Unstyled Letter Series" has a lot of good information on the entire GP
Family of tractors.

Also, there is a small book about the Model C which was given along with the
Model C toy at one of the early Two-Cylinder Expos.

Research which ultimately resulted in the GP began in 1925. There was a need
for a smaller tractor than the D which could be used to plant and cultivate
as well as till. The Model C eventually became the GP. Less than 100
tractors were built in late 1927. There were many problems with the design.
Many of these Model C tractors were recalled and rebuilt to a new
specification adopted January 24, 1928. Production of the GP began later in
1928 with serial number 200211.

Unless one is familiar with the GP, the differences between the C and the GP
do not stand out. Perhaps the most obvious one is the seat. The seat on the
C is supported by what appears to be simply a pipe standing on the platform
instead of the flat steel springs on the GP. Another easy to spot feature of
the C is the tool box position. On the C. the tool box is mounted on the
transmission cover, on the GP it is next to the fender on the pulley side.

Here are a few more differences.

                        FEATURE
                    MODEL C
                   GP STANDARD

      Tie rod
     Clevis ends
     Ball and socket ends

      Front axle "bumpers"
     Half the thickness of axle
     Full thickness of axle

      Bolts holding front support to block
     Three bolts each side
     Two bolts each side

      Rear wheels, hub
     Perimeter of hub is flat
     Perimeter of hub is shallow V

      Rear wheels, rim groove
     Wider groove
     Narrow groove

      Casting numbers
     XY on many castings
     Casting numbers begin with C

      Brake pedal hold down latch
     Cast
     Forging

      Platform
     Right angle bend at front
     Smaller angle at front

      Clutch lever
     Approximately 20"
     Approximately 26"

      Steering wheel
     Wooden rim
     Steel rim

      Rear axle housing cover
     Protrudes above housing
     About same size as housing

      Drawbar, cross member(C1211)
     Flat steel
     Round, flat part in center

I will try to attach a picture of a Model C with a cultivator mounted. This
tractor belongs to Cliff Smith from MO. Unfortunately, not much detail
shows.

Paul O