[AT] Wire size for welder?? Help welder people!

Bigdog dbigdog at columbus.rr.com
Wed Dec 8 11:44:55 PST 2004

John,

Don't overlook the fact that breakers are to protect the wiring, not the device.  If you're running from a 50 amp breaker, you need #6 wire.  The more correct way to look at that is that you size the breaker according to the wire you run.  A 50 amp breaker will not protect #10 wires.  They will overheat and become a potential fire hazard before the breaker trips unless the cause is a sudden short.
    If the welder requires a 50 amp breaker for operation you need wiring heavy enough to sustain a near capacity current draw for an indefinite time period.

Bigdog