[AT] Ford 8 N

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Wed Dec 8 11:27:10 PST 2004

Allis tractors have the non-live PTO and have the "problem" of the brush
cutter pushing the tractor.  I put " " around problem because I don't find
it to be a problem.  I guess maybe I'm biased because I've been driving one
of those tractors since 1959 but it really isn't much problem once you get
used to it.  If you have good brakes on the tractor it is easy to get into
the habit of pushing in the clutch petal and both brake petals when you stop
mowing.  The mower will try to push the tractor but the brakes will wow it
down in a couple of feet and have the advantage of acting as a transmission
brake.  That way when you do get it stoped you can change gears without
grinding them (which is another "problem" with the same tractors).

I tried an over running clutch after many years of doing without one and
found it to be annoying as I could not use the brake to stop the brush
cutter blades and had to sit and wait for it to coast down before I could
get off to work on it, drive across something I didn't want to cut  up, etc.

Charlie