Subject: [AJD] 1st Tractor

Bob Currie tractors at foothill.net
Wed Dec 8 10:14:27 PST 2004

Mike,
First thing I'd recommend is to pay particular attention to any rented
trailer that you're not familiar with. Before you use it, inspect the ball
hitch to make sure it's working properly. Check the wheels and tires, and
most important see if it has brakes on all four wheels or just two of them.
Test the wiring to see if the lights and brakes are working properly, and
if there is a good brake away system installed on the trailer.  Lastly,
measure the loading width, that being the distance on the trailer bed
inside the wheels wells if it is not a deck over trailer. Make sure your
tractor will fit inside the wheel wells, or at least have a plan if it
doesn't.  Lastly, load the tractor so the weight is distributed properly,
using the ol 60/40 percentile rule. During the 70 mile trip, if the trailer
and load isn't following properly, don't hesitate to stop and shift the
tractor one way or the other to get the right distribution.  You didn't
mention what type of tow vehicle you'll be using, but I'm assuming it will
be something with good mirrors, good brakes, a good class III or better
hitch, and the rating to pull a 3.5k load.

bobcurrie,
greenwood,ca