Subject: [AJD] 1st Tractor

Robert M. Massengale ltcmikem at ktc.com
Tue Dec 7 05:58:20 PST 2004

After lurking on the list for several years, I've finally bought my first tractor, a '41
"B", serial #109494.  Got it on Ebay yesterday... item #3858464891.  I know the
price looks high when compared with other parts of the country, but for my area it's
pretty good, especially if the condition proves to be as described.  Needless to say,
having looked, wished & waited many years for my chance at some green & yellow,
I'm pretty excited. First task is to bring it home... its located in Marble Falls, Texas,
about 70 miles away. I'm planning on renting a trailer that's 3,000 lbs capable and
tying down with four aircraft cargo tie-down straps using an "X" pattern on the
outboard rear axles to opposite trailer corners in the rear and a similar arrangement
on the front.  Three requests for the list:  I'd appreciate any suggestions, cautions,
tips, etc., on getting my treasure loaded and tied-down correctly/safely... this will be
my first ever tractor load & trailer.  I'd also appreciate a basic list of manuals and
other literature applicable to a '41 "B" serial 109494 and a #5 JD sickle mower that I
need to start searching for.  Lastly, is the #5 JD sickle mower that comes with this
purchase a correct mower for this tractor?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Massengale
Fredericksburg, Texas 78624