[AT] Mig welders for antique tractor sheet metal work??

ROBBRUT at aol.com ROBBRUT at aol.com
Sat Dec 4 10:41:32 PST 2004

It's been 40 years since I bought my first welder (used, and it was old when
I got it !).
It's a Marquette AC with about a 230A max tap (which I have only used once).
It has no cooling fan, just massive construction to absorb the transformer's
excess heat.
Since it takes two strong and willing souls to lift it, it has to rate low on
the portability scale, but it has welded everything I have asked it to, from
structural steel on commercial jobs I did (once by using a homemade 200 ft
extension cord) to the fenders on my Kubota B7200.
The former it did very well, but the latter?..... well, let me just say that
my 4" grinder got areal workout that day.
Due to that experience, I am now going to give Harbor Freight's 220V mig
welder a chance, as I have a raincheck to get one for 199 bucks, and I will try it
out right away and return it if it shows any signs of being a poor performer.
I am still a big fan of that old Marquette though, and in fact I now have
two, since my wife spotted one at a yard sale as we drove by and I got it for us
to use at my cabin.
The guy wanted 25 dollars for it, and threw in the 20' cables, a hammer,and a
helmet (which I'll use for target practice, since I am now hooked on
auto-darkeners).

-Bruce Thompson