[AT] TD6

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 4 09:28:17 PST 2004

My MD (same/similar engine to TD 6) often burbles a bit on start up but not
more than a few seconds.  The smoke is incompletely burned fuel.  Possibly
you have marginal compression in two cylinders and they do not support
compression ignition until pretty warm.   The black smoke suggests fuel is
getting to the cylinders but not igniting properly.  Worth checking valve
clearances,  It is an interesting engine!  Might be interesting to check
compression with the valves set for gasoline operation -- maybe someone on
the net can comment?

Bob Holtzer