[AT] ATIS Holifday Charity Auction

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Dec 3 17:21:12 PST 2004

The problem is similar to many other marine items folks try to use on
the street, and vice-versa. Marine transmissions see constant torque
constantly changing loads. That was what caused the problems with the ZF
units. They were fine in trucks and cars that were not really used
heavily. Most of the ones used in trucks that actually hauled real loads
or towed a lot failed because of the shock loading of the internals.  GM
then ordered heavier units for the next generation of trucks. The real
heavy duty transmission to use in a GM is the SM456 with granny low for
trucks up to about 88. For newer trucks and for folks who are ordering
new the manual of choice is the NV4500 5 speed. It is actually a 4 speed
with OD in the 5th hole. The SM 456 is cast iron and is HEAVY duty. BUT
you don't have a lot of gear choice. Of course if you could pair it with
a 2 speed rear it is a great rig.

I was actually looking at a 50's cabover GMC and thought about a 383
stroker motor built for pulling with the SM456 behind it and a 2 speed
Rockwell in the rear. Maybe toss a gear venders overdrive in there and
putting a 15 foot bed on it and it would be a great tractor hauler and
get better mileage. The cabover is up for sale about 10 miles away.
Needs work but looks to be complete and not badly beat up, if anyone is
interested I could get a few shots of it and send them to you.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY