[AJD] GP woth Bean axle??

Paul O mrgp at fwi.com
Fri Dec 3 11:56:23 PST 2004

John
I believe the answer to your question is no, but I do not have any
documentation to back that up. The original story I heard about those long
hub wheels were that they were lister wheels. This was before there was much
knowledge about bean tractors. I know nothing about listed crops, so I have
no reason to  disbelieve that.

The other story I have heard is the long hub wheels were used with the
standard axle to get the wide tread width needed for bean (or other crop)
cultivation. There were special options made available for crops planted in
rows other than 42". I have seen pictures of steel long hub wheels which I
believe were used before the bean axle came out.

There was a decision in 1933 which adopted rubber tired front wheels "so the
Orchard and Bean tractors could be sold on rubber tires". The decision did
not provide a part number for the wheels, but it is not likely the reference
was to the long hub wheels.

I have seen the long hub wheels on several GPO tractors. To me, that seems
counter-productive because the smaller the better for orchard use. I doubt
that the GPO tractors left the factory that way, but I have been surprised
before.

In any case, you have some fairly rare wheels which should look nice on your
GP.

Paul O