[AT] Mig welders for antique tractor sheet metal work??

Billy Hood aggie1967 at msn.com
Thu Dec 2 19:08:03 PST 2004

The weakest link in the old red Lincoln buzz boxes is the cooling fan.  If it does not run, you will burn up something.  And it is a 220 volt fan and hard to find a replacement out of the junk box.  I have a 225 AC at my son's shop now that we got free because of that--burned up the amperage swithch.  I had a cooling fan out of an old AC/DC that the diodes went out in and bought a new switch for $46 and had cheap reserve welder.  It is a good thing to check for the cooling fan running on any welder.  I have a 300 amp ESAB 3 phase MIG that I got because of the same malady.  Fitted a replacement and replaced the switch that had melted and cheap reliable welder.  I have also had a fan go out on a Lincoln SP 175 MIG that I used to put a lot of hours on.  It has since been replaced, but was a good machine.
Bear