[AJD] GP woth Bean axle??

John Boehm rustyacres at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 19:39:02 PST 2004

My 20 year old son, Matt, negotiated a deal for and
bought a GP on full steel with beautiful Schmeiser
(locally produced here in CA)lugs. Unfortunately, it
had not run since 1955 and someone removed the hood,
magneto, carb, radiator, and many of the parts above
the engine, then loosened the head. It had been out in
the weather that way for who knows how many years, so
the engine is probably in pretty rough shape. We
picked it up a few weeks ago. It was a tough one to
load as a thirty foot tall oak tree was starting to
grow aound one front wheel. After we cut down the
tree, we hooked up to the winch, but one brake was
rusted tight and one front wheel wouldn't turn. On top
of that I couldnt get any closer than about a hundred
yards away, so it was a long pull dragging it up and
onto the trailer with two wheels skidding along all
the way.

Anyway, it's been sitting here those few weeks both
outside and now inside the shop where Matt started to
do some investigating into its condition. I was out in
the shop looking for something else tonight when the
front axle caught my eye. It looked a lot wider than a
normal GP axle and the tie rod was behind the axle,
instead of in the front. Suddenly it dawned on me that
this must be a "bean" axle. It has casting # C1878R,
which as far as I can determine from the parts
catalog, must be that axle. Is there anything else I
should be looking for? It appears to have a standard
drawbar and is serial # 229508.

Any information would be appreciated. Yes, I am proud
of him for finding it and buying it. And hoping he
might be following somewhat in the old man's
footsteps!

John Boehm
Woodland, CA
Visit my web site at http://vintagetractors.com