[AT] ATIS Holifday Charity Auction

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Dec 2 10:24:59 PST 2004

farmer,
GM has a few different bellhousing patterns.
.
1- Chevy small/Big Block up to 1996 (Starter position makes a difference
in the bellhousing)
2- BOP - Buick/Olds/Pontiac
3- Cadillac
4- Newer pattern for the 2.2/2.8/3.1/3.3 fours and V-6

The only real difference between the Chevy units relates to how the
bellhousing attaches to the transmission itself. For instance the early
Saginaw 3 and 4 speeds and the Muncie units all bolt up with the same 4
bolt H pattern. The newer Getrag units and NVG transmissions use from
5 - 8 bolts depending on what vehicle and orientation they are in. BUT
as long as you have the proper bellhousing and clutch plate they are
just about all interchangeable.
I have a 1964 Powerglide bolted to the back of a '85 block and I also
have an earlier Fluid drive unit bolted to a 75 engine. Only real
problem is that you have to watch driveshaft measurements and such.

Steve Williams