[AJD] Tractor tire dealer

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Dec 1 16:38:14 PST 2004

Howard:

Thank You for the referral.  At the risk of upsetting some fellow ATIS list
members such as ME Miller and Tucker Tire which are very reputable firms, I
would like to add another supplier to the list in the Midwest. With 14
different tractors here that at one time or the other have needed tires I
have had to do a little research to try and save a buck when possible. Our
biggest challenge out here on the West Coast is not finding good sources for
the antique tractor sizes but we pay a significant price premium because of
the freight to get them out here from the factory. And the same issue comes
in to play if I were to order from ME Miller or Tucker Tire.

Since three of my tractors have 12.4 x 42" rear tires, which are the most
expensive of any I have had to buy I did some research on this size last
year. Locally, the price is over $450 per tire for Firestone 23 degree rib.
That was just more than I wanted to pay. Finding good and matched used 12.4
x 42" tires is nearly impossible if not impossible.

So, knowing that I was going to be making a round trip to Moline, IL in
March of 2004, with loaded trailer in tow and with room for tires, I did
some checking in IA. Now keep in mind that ME Miller was willing to deliver
the tires at no charge to the event I was attending in Moline, IL and that
was attractive to me. However, they required a several week lead time on the
order which I unfortunately missed.

I have purchased tires in the past from this company and contacted them
again to see what kind of deal I could put together. The company name is:

Bauer Built

whose HQ is in Durand, WI but have 26 locations throughout the Mid West in
IL, IA, MN, IN, NE, ND & WI

http://www.bauerbuilt.com/

I was able to buy the 12.4 x 42" tires from them for around $330 a piece as
opposed to $450 apiece with no added tax, which was additional savings. I
also picked up new tubes for the same tire size at around $25 a piece which
was a significant savings as well. Since I was already making the trip the
incremental trip cost was very minimal. All I had to do was pick them up at
their store and I just picked a store along the highway in IA that was on my
route anyway. The savings on the tires alone more than paid my fuel costs
for a 2200 mile return trip. And I was hauling a two tractor load for hire
as well.

I have no connection at all with the company. Just a satisfied buyer. YMMV

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com