[AT] O/T GM diesel question

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Wed Dec 1 11:23:09 PST 2004

Hi Ralph,

First of all we are talking about differing degrees of cold (pun intended)
from my world to yours but I have actually used one of those lights for
heating a block and it worked fairly well.  I agree it wouldn't be nearly as
good as a block heater, either water or oil, but in a pinch it will work at
least down south here where we never see negative temps and hardly ever see
even single digit temps.
The halogen lights really pump out the heat compared to incandescent bulbs
and it tends to be radiant in nature.  However I agree that the block heater
is best.

One other thing I have is one of those round "Mr Heater" radiant gas heaters
that attaches to the top of a 20 lb propane cyl.  If placed in the right
spot it would work in a pinch too but not to close or it would burn the
paint off.

Charlie