[Steam-engine] NBIC Morris Snow Presentation Excerpts

Dan Donaldson ddonaldson at tampatank.com
Mon Aug 16 13:27:32 PDT 2004

    Thanks for posting the link to the excerpt from the speech by Morris L.
Snow.
    I read the excerpt and it seems to me that the National Board is very
concerned about historic boilers and their potential for disaster. This
article seems to leave more questions unanswered that answered.  It looks to
me like the National Board is trying to get control of inspecting all
boilers shown at public event and having the power to determine when
historic boilers should be condemned.  The spirit of the excerpt makes me
believe that the National Board wants to become more strict on the pressures
allowed on these boilers.  Even to the point of revising Appendix C.
    I have been planning to purchase a traction engine and have been trying
to become familiar with boiler construction and how to determine the
condition of a boiler.  I have been leaning to the position that I should
plan on finding an engine that has a boiler in poor condition and plan to
spend the money to build a new boiler to ASME code.  That way my investment
will not be lost due to tightening codes and a National Board that may start
condemning historic boilers right and left in fear of their own liability
and reputation at stake.
    Is there anyone with these same concerns or am I being too pessimistic.
I currently live in a state that has absolutely no inspections on historic
boilers but believe that it is just a matter of time before all states adopt
Appendix C of the NBIC.

Dan Donaldson