[AT] Wire welder question

Len Rugen lrugen at c-magic.com
Fri Aug 27 11:16:24 PDT 2004

I have a Hobart Handler, it's a 120V welder, I think the model is 170.  It
has never needed service, so I can't say anything about the warrenty.  It
may be the ancestor of the 175.  It came with gas setup (less tank) and a
"free" cart for (I think) about $450.  I bought it because my brodcast
seeder needed repairs and my stick welder was down.  I've since repaired the
stick welder (Lincoln 120, 30+ years old).  I use the wire welder for light
stuff and the stick where necessary.  Having a 120 portable welder is handy,
just switch to flux wire and leave the tank and cart behind.

I remodeled a light boat trailer into a 4 x 8' tilt bed utility trailer with
12" sides using the wire exclusively.  I never "thermaled" and ran out of
duty cycle welding 3/16" and less.

If their more expensive welders are proportionally better, you should be
happy.

I compared to Lincoln's at Lowes, the price was about the same AFTER adding
their gas kit.

---