[AT] Portland... so much to do, so little time

Dean Vinson vinsond at voyager.net
Thu Aug 26 19:47:34 PDT 2004

I zipped over to the Portland show on Wednesday just for the day, and
although too brief it was still a lot of fun.  Enjoyed brief visits with
Steve Sewell, Bear Hood, Gene Dotson, Ron Chew, Brice Adams, and Spencer
Yost, but missed many more.  Would have liked to catch up with Farmer
and George Willer again, and saw George's Ford and the beginnings of
Farmer's assortment of stuff, but didn't cross their paths.  And
couldn't stay for the dinner with the whole gang at the Mexican place,
or for any of the shimstock generation that likely followed.

Didn't buy hardly anything, either, although there was sure a lot of
neat stuff to look at.  What I think was a wide-front Case DC caught my
eye in the swapmeet area, although it was labeled a VAC.  And there was
a flat gorgeous old IH dump truck.  Should have bought the old Dupont
plunger-handle blasting generator just on general principle.  Who hasn't
wanted one of those things ever since they were a kid?

It's tough being tractorless, though.  Makes it hard to justify buying
parts.  I darn near came home with a very nice early-style air intake
cap for an H or M Farmall, not sure which, just in case I buy one of
those tractors someday and it needs a cap.  But that seemed a stretch.

In the display area I drooled over a narrow-front JD 2520 Powershift
with dual remotes and side console... bet the owner wouldn't trade it
for a lot of gold, although if I had any I'd have given it a try.

And I miss my old Super M more than ever.  That was a heck of a good
tractor, really in fine shape, which I appreciate more and more in
hindsight.

Gene looked good on the Case LA running one of the Girard's old
separators.  That's a fine sounding tractor, and lots of it.  His VAIW
was flat-out cool, too.

Next year I hope to have more time, but even a short day at Portland is
better than none.  Thanks to all who make it such a memorable show!

Dean Vinson  --  Dayton Ohio
<http://my.voyager.net/~vinsond/>