[Farmall] British "MD" ?

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Wed Aug 25 05:21:32 PDT 2004

Randy Kuhn wrote:

> Birddog,
>
> That's what I thought too!   But what would have needed to be done to
> make a diesel run on gasoline?  And why would someone do that?
It doesn't take anything to made THAT diesel engine run on gasoline. The
older IH diesel engines had spark plugs and ignition systems and were
started on gasoline. Then, when the engine warmed up, the gas feed was
shut off and the diesel pump started; if everything was working right,
the engine then fired up on diesel and ran fine. This method of starting
was only slightly better than the use of "pony" engines that were used
by Caterpillar, JD, and others. But the time the 460/560 came out, IH
went to glow plugs and direct diesel start.

So, while the engine will start and run on gasoline, that isn't how it
is intended to be run for regular operation. I think you need to get a
hold of an operator's manual. Try Binder Books <www.binderbooks.com> or
Jensales <www.jensales.com> for reproduced copies or eBay for used
originals. (My preference is an excellent repro from Binder Books.)

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
  -  George Santayana (1863-1952); US (Spanish-born) philosopher.