[Steam-engine] Port Huron Water Tanks

Jeff Smith steamenginesmitty at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 15:15:23 PDT 2004

Beth,

Why not consider stainless?  I am considering building
a water wagon and am highly considering stainless.  I
want to build it once and not have to mess with it
again later.

I was talking with a good friend of mine who's father
has restored a bunch of antique cars and trucks, and
he told me that with the proper paint and process, I
can paint the stainless.  I did get a quote on the
stainless and it was over three times more, but if I
go that route, I won't have to monkey with it later.

Also, another friend's father coated the inside of his
steel tanks with swimming pool deck sealer that is
used here in Florida on beach front commercial
swimming pool decks.  He coated the steel tank on his
2' gauge shay in 1981 and he leaves it full of water.
I was there the other day and when I opened the tank
cover, it was clear with no signs of rust on the
inside of the tank.  I think that in 1981 when
products for sealing tanks were not like they are
today he made a good choice.

Jeff Smith