[Farmall] cleaning solvents

Bob Currie tractors at foothill.net
Mon Aug 23 08:49:07 PDT 2004

Seems like as far back as I can remember, we've always had a 5 or 10 gallon
tank of some kind to clean the greasy parts when we took things apart for
repair. Soaking them overnight and then using a hand brush to remove the
crud usually did the job. Within the last 5 years, I've noticed the solvent
that I buy has less and less potency  and won't clean much of the
grease.  The 55 gallon drum where I buy my solvent now says "mineral
spirits" on it.  The guy at the parts house just shrugs and says "that's
all we can get now days".  I'm wondering if it like this all over the
country, or just out here in California where the EPA runs everything?  And
what solution seems to work the best?

bobcurrie
greenwood, CA