[AT] Pitman rivets?

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Wed Aug 18 14:32:57 PDT 2004

Robinson wrote:

>         No! No! No!... If you want to be authentic as a working mower
> you should use a mix of hex nuts and bolts and square head nuts and
> bolts in several sizes. That is in all but 2 holes. Those should have a
> big old cotter key through the hole like a bolt on one and in the other
> there should be a huge spike nail just bent over...   ;-)
Every time I bring home a piece of older farm equipment, I end up
spending a fair amount of time replacing odd size/shaped nuts and bolts
with correct ones, as well as cutting off bent nails and installing
cotter pins. Fortunately, I have several 5 gallon pails of new (or
slightly used) hardware that came from the tractor dealership where I
used to work  - I placed a 5 gallon pail in a corner of the shop and
painted "Mike's Nuts" on the side and asked the mechanics to toss in any
hardware that they would normally discard. I would take it home each
Saturday and return it empty each Monday, having spent part of Sunday
going through the contents. Of course, I had to put up with a fair
amount of kidding and had to be careful things like used razor blades,
broken glass, stripped bolts, candy wrappers, etc. But I now have what I
hope is a lifetime supply of nuts and bolts, washers, pins, sleeves,
cotter pins, hydraulic hose ends, hunks of steel, manifold studs, etc.
Most of it came from installation kits for tractor accessories, and
there is one bucket full of larger metric hardware that I presently have
no use for, but is what all the new tractors are all about. I am going
to buy one of those bin racks that I saw in the Northern catalog and get
the stuff out of the buckets on the floor and sorted roughly by size
into the bins. If anyone wants a 5 gallon pail full of brand new larger
metric nuts and bolts, they are welcome to stop by my place and take it
away. (But they have to figure out how to lift it off the ground and
into their truck - it is very heavy.)

Mike

>> "farmer"
>

> Francis Robinson
> Central Indiana, USA
> robinson at svs.net

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email: (msloane at att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Blog: <www.mikesloane.blogspot.com
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>
Work: none - retired

In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take.
-Adlai Stevenson, statesman (1900-1965)