[Steam-engine] NBIC Morris Snow Presentation Excerpts

Jeff Smith steamenginesmitty at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 04:52:20 PDT 2004

I sold one of my engines this year for many different
reasons and purchased a new 1/2 scale 65 case boiler
that is to current ASME standards, but Dan's concern
was one of the major deciding factors.  Time and
storage were the biggest issues, I just don't have the
time right now or the place to store a full size
engine for a restoration.  Another deciding factor was
it also needed a lot of repair to the boiler; to the
point that I just wanted a new boiler from a
cost/benefit standpoint.  In the end I decided against
that and sold it because I was losing my storage space
at the time and needed to find a place for it fast,
and where it could have been stored was outside neat
the ocean.  I just didn't want it outside near all of
the salt spray so it found a new home with a man that
has many other engines.

I still have two other riveted boilers and one other
ASME code welded boiler, but they are not on traction
engines so I decided to go the 1/2 scale route.  I
might be losing money someday on the two riveted
boilers from some type of crackdown, but I am willing
to take that chance because I like those engines.  I
just wanted an engine that I MIGHT be able to take
from state to state on vacation in the summer, but it
appears that the days of honoring other state
inspections in the states that I was planning to go to
is a thing of the past.  So I can either not go, or
get a bunch of inspections a year, but I just don't
want the hassle of that nor all of those hydros so I
am learning to go to shows and not have to operate
something, but that is hard for me to do.

I was at a show this past weekend in PA, and one of my
father's old steam friends told me that he just sold
all of his engines but one, and his comment was that
he thinks that sometime soon all engines in public
areas will require a new welded boiler.  That may be a
bit extreme, but maybe not.  It sure took me by
surprise though coming from him.  He lives in Maryland
and he was tired of the hassle, so he kept one engine
that he has that was purchased new and replaced 6
months later with a gas tractor so the engine is like
new, but he still doesn't take it anywhere now.

Does anyone know why Willis Able sold all of his
engines but a few?  He had 30 engines that could
operate the last time I went to his place.  Going
there was like going to a big candy store and now that
is a thing of the past.  I can understand if he just
got tired of PA and their views on historic boilers
though and threw in the towel, he would have to go
through inspections 30 times a year.  I can't even
imagine the amount of work that must have been and my
hat is off to him for all those years of dedication.
I think that trying to be patient with the entire
inspection process for 30 engines would have put me in
a straight jacket........

Dan, apparently you are not the only one with those
thoughts though, the gentleman in MD and myself had
the same concerns.  I am sure that many others have
also, but so far we are the only ones that I know of
that acted upon them, but we could be wrong.

Jeff