[AT] Re; another shop

metz-h.b at mindspring.com metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 16 17:51:13 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: TCHARPE at aol.com
Sent: Aug 14, 2004 10:11 AM
To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com
Subject: Re: [AT] Re; another shop

The most important item is the base.
My 42' x 72'shed has 3' of fill in one corner and 10' of fill in opposite corner, very little mesh and very little rebar, 5" of regular strength concrete and no cracks after five years.  The crawler loader operator packed the soil in 1" to 2" layers, while I ran a loaded large bobcat alongside him.   Took us 36 hours each for above project; he dug the fill from closeby.
Based on my observations of some highways that are very irregular, filled soil can not be packed as well as virgin soil, so there is a knit line that will case uneven settling and cracks.    If I had a combination of fill in some areas and no fill in other areas, I would insist on removing at least the top 2' of virgin soil, then replacing it gradually (in above manner) while filling the area that initially required fill.
Herbert Metz