[Steam-engine] Don't get me started....................Snow piece cites known hoax........

Lorija799 at aol.com Lorija799 at aol.com
Mon Aug 16 14:06:02 PDT 2004

The National Board piece titled, "the Good Old Days," dated 1985, cites a
boiler explosion that was to have happened the year previous and in which "the
owner and his grandson were killed."

the incident actually happened in 1970 at the corn stampede in Nebraska.
Neither the owner nor his gradson were killed, although the owner lost a leg (bad
enough).

The old IMA reprinted the Bulletin article, and later retracted it due to its
alarmist tone and vast inaccuracies.  At the time the national board was
notified that the article was false,  and that not only were their dates wrong, so
was the casualty list.  The runmor was that the actual author of the article
was one John Peyton (ring a bell?)

Again we see his BS put forth as gospel.
The FACT on that explosion?  A pipe nipple and cap was welded in place of the
fusible plug, and while there was ":donut" thinning around the stays, the
crwon collapsed because of LOW WATER.

I always love it when the National Board expreses grave concern over  rivited
seam grooving, and all the boiler failures that they allude to the seams all
held.

How can they express absoluted about safety when the information they put
forth is false?  Was not Medina catastrophy enough to further their aggenda, or
was it jsut not as inflamitory as the "Good Old Days"article.

Rev JJ