[AT] OT: How to rescue the dome from a silo?

Matthew matthewx at dogod.com
Mon Aug 16 08:17:43 PDT 2004

There is abarn being torn down near me and the person doing the destruction
is letting me pick at the spoils.  Among the things being torn down are
three large silos.  Two of them have really nice looking domes on top.
I was thinking that I could use one or two levels of the old silo bricks
and make a nice little storag shead or building for the goats, and perhaps
with the other one make a little observitory for our telescope.

The big question is how to get the domes off intact.  The dozer driver
was thiking about drilling holes through the silo and pulling it over
with a cable.  I suspect the top would die when it hit the ground.

So, does anybody have any thoughts on how to rescue these things?

--Matthew