OT: Re: [AT] Re:Underground Wire

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Sat Aug 14 02:39:21 PDT 2004

HaliganBar at aol.com wrote:
> How many times have list members see the Dig Safe markings be several feet
> off of where the actual utilities are actually located! A couple years ago they
> ran all new underground cable lines in the town where I work. We averaged 4
> calls a week for utilites struck by the contractor. At least 98% were due to
> mismarked or unmarked utilities.
Just last year we (the township water company) extended the main down
the county road. Our engineer called in the gas, power, and telephone
company engineers to verify the location of any of their facilities that
might be in the area where our ditch would be. They all signed off on
the plans that there were no underground facilities in that area (no gas
service and the power and telco are overhead). Naturally, the contractor
then sliced through a telco underground trunk that didn't appear on
anyone's plans and knocked out the connection between two telco's. Telco
came out immediately and spent many hours splicing the cable and holding
up our construction. The telco engineers were completely mystified as to
how a major trunk cable did not appear on any of their records. Later
the township got a hefty bill for the cost of repairing the damage to
the telco facilities! We sent the bill back with a nasty note that
suggested they owed us money for holding up our project. That was the
last we heard about it. :-)

Mike

.
--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take.
-Adlai Stevenson, statesman (1900-1965)