[AT] OT: Thank you Farmer

HaliganBar at aol.com HaliganBar at aol.com
Wed Aug 11 18:10:27 PDT 2004

Farmer, thank you for all your help while I was troubleshooting a phone
problem in the house yesterday. Perhaps you are a little confused since this is the
first you've heard of any of this.

Well, it all started when I tried to get online to check my ATIS mail. For
some reason the 'puter had no dial tone. After a brief investigation I found
that the kitchen and upstairs phone had an open line and no dial tone but the
living room phone worked fine. But, if I had one of the "dead" phones off the
hook and picked up the living room phone then both phones would work. Well, I
checked all the wires in the basement, reseated all the connections at the
network interface, and still hadn't fixed the problem. I managed to get online and
was chatting with fellow ATIS member Mike Maynard who jokingly reminded me of
Farmer's mantra "check the grounds."

Knowing good advice when I hear it, I ran outside and inspected the telephone
ground connection...boy, what a disaster! The telephone ground was attached
to the aluminum ground from the meter box to the ground post and the connection
was VERY corroded. Further investigation revealed the aluminum ground wire
was completely corroded through where it came in contact with the earth. I
trimmed back the aluminum wire, cleaned all the connections and reattached
everything. I also called an electrician friend to come and replace the FOOLISH
aluminum ground wire from the meter box. Interestingly, I will now need 2 separate
grounds at least 6' apart to meet the new code.

After all of this my phone problem still persisted. A call to the phone
company revealed that there is a problem somewhere in the line between my house and
the local office. I'm still amazed that they can diagnose a line problem from
their computer. Thankfully everything was repaired today.

So, a big thank you to Farmer..if it weren't for your consistent advice I
never would have found the potentially dangerous condition of my house ground.

Regards,
Karl