[Steam-engine] Article on Rynda's Auction.

Paul Ward psward at neo.rr.com
Tue Aug 10 07:38:23 PDT 2004

Hey gang,

I'm not sure I agree with Joe Steinhagen.'s article on Rynda's auction in
the Sept./Oct. issue of ST.  He notes that, "I didn't see a lot of ultra
sounding going on." and "most people were buying on a hope and a prayer that
the boiler was in good shape, and not much more."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the engines I saw looked like someone
had filled up a blunderbuss with Vaseline and fired.  Testing marks seemed
to be everywhere - right?  I'm not sure I like the implied view that steam
folks are reckless and haphazard in the purchases of steam engines.  My view
was that most everyone that was serious about buying an engine and had the
money, knew which boilers were good and which one's needed work before the
auction even started.

Your thoughts?

Paul Ward
psward at neo.rr.com