[AT] Farmall Cub Question

rasmith4 at juno.com rasmith4 at juno.com
Fri Aug 6 18:59:08 PDT 2004

I know you guys laugh when some one mentions farmall cubs ,
but I have one , and have been running this thing for many years .

I did finally rebuild the motor , as there wasn't enough compression left
to it to be able to hand crank
start it anymore .  now I'm sure it  will be good for another 30yrs  .

My question to those in the know is -
just what is the proper total length of the pitman arm on the I.H. belly
mount sickle bar mower attachment .
 this one is the five foot  section .

Now I have made pitman arms for years out of what ever hard wood was
around . But my thought is that I may have shortened the arm over the
last few times replacements have been made .

I am looking for the total length from the center of the concentric
mounting pin on the belly shaft -
to the center of the ball on the cutter bar section .
 now I know that the concentric can only allow the section to move a set
amount . But if the pitman arm is a bit short, or a bit long , the knives
will not meet the ledger plates on the stone guards properly .

The problem I am having with it is that it always seems to plug up with
hay in the last knife section .
stuffing hay into the mow board piece . it wads up so bad that after
several yards -- it is just dragging
a wad of hay around, and not cutting . Although the section is still
moving >

any ideas would be greatly helpful

Ray Smith
L.L.