[AT] A wasteland on TV

Dean Vinson vinsond at voyager.net
Thu Aug 5 17:20:11 PDT 2004

I'll join the chorus as to the huge amount of worthless and downright
bad content.  But I'm glad there's no government attempt at controlling
quality or value of the content, other than the decency "standards" if
you can call them that.  I expect it'd just be another worthless
bureaucracy and waste of my tax money.

One thing I like about our local cable service is the on-demand movie
rental option:  You scroll through an on-screen menu, select what you
want, and it's instantly available.  You can stop, pause, rewind, fast
forward, etc, and play it as many times as you want for 24 hours.  Costs
about $4 per movie, and it shows up on your monthly bill.  No trip to
the rental place, no forgetting to take the movie back.

I also like it for its potential--I hope that as the digital libraries
grow over the years, more and more stuff will become available.  The
marginal cost to the cable service of storing and providing each program
has got to be pretty small, so it hopefully wouldn't take too many
buyers to make it worthwhile to offer the narrow-market things that
don't generate enough ad revenue to succeed on regular TV.  Maybe
Spencer will diversify into making old-tractor movies...

Dean Vinson  --  Dayton Ohio
<http://my.voyager.net/~vinsond/>