[AT] A wasteland on TV

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 16:57:41 PDT 2004

>  Second, for Dish Network, you need a clear "view" almost directly west

and almost horizontal (in NJ), and I had to cut down a pine tree to attain

that. I can't recall Cecil's  view to the west, so he may or may not have

  a problem. Direct TV is a more southernly view and at a higher angle.

	Well, I see that I am far from alone in my thinking. Not that it
feels any better but I comforted by the fact it isn't just me in my old
age bitching about nothing.

	I had asked my youngest daughter, who has Dish Network and who had
Direct TV. She said one is about as bad as the other but the satellites
don't have any of the Time Warner ads at all and that is a big plus. I am
familiar with loss of signal during heavy rains as I was in the business of
putting up dishes at our head end sites all over the country for years and
loss of signal in extreme weather happens. That doesn't bother me.

	Well, I think I may just as well cancel this Cable TV for the first
time since I went in the business in 1966 and give the satellite a tryout.

	As to directions here, Mike, straight west is straight down our
driveway and I can go as low to the horizon as necessary without hitting
anything. I happen to have a straight shot to the south too if need be. The
only two directions that are clear, as a matter of fact, are west and south.
All the rest is heavy woods.

	And, Gil, I happen to know the people who own MediaCom Cable. Their
main office is less than 20 miles from our house. Rocco Commisso was a big
shot at Cablevision where I worked for many years and went from there and
founded Mediacom. A very smart man. And further, as to setting up these
"packages", that was serious business and took a long time to find out
just how to do it to be able to wring the last penny out of subscribers by
forcing them to pay extra to get things they wanted. It is nothing more than
a big money game, of course, sort of like Monopoly played with real money.

	I saw an ad Sunday that advertised a free hookup for up to 3 TV sets
so will have to dig that up.

	Thanks for all the input, my friends. I appreciate it.

Cecil

what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson