[AT] Sealing a tire to a rim

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Fri Apr 30 12:55:46 PDT 2004

>     For bead leaks... first I avoid them by "NEVER" dry mounting a tire. I prefer Murphy's Oil Soap in water (vegetable oil based) When I do have a bead leaker most of the time all that is needed is to pull the tire and remount it with plenty of lube. In extreme cases I have used a little rubber cement. Generally if a bead has a damaged spot you can fix it by cleaning it down and applying a piece of vulcanizing rubber with rubber cement then put a coat of rubber cement on the surface before inflating. The vulcanizing rubber will crush to conform to the rim. Lately we have been keeping a big squeeze bottle of a white latex sealer like you would put inside of a tire. On really rough rims or a tire that has previously leaked at the bead, clean the bead and wire brush the rim (a good wire brush is a standard fixture at the changer). We then squeeze out a smooth bead of the latex onto the face of the bead all the way around before inflating. Seems to be working 100% so far.

	Farmer, I imagine you read my post when I mentioned the 24 small tires
or so I have on the place and that I always have "leakers". As I told Charlie,
the thought of buying tubes for all of these turns me off.

	Lucille always has Murphy's Oil Soap on hand so that is easy to get
and I understand using it to clean the rims and beads.

	When you say  "I do have a bead leaker most of the time all that is needed is
to pull the tire and remount it with plenty of lube.", does that mean
you also use a "bead sealer" or you use Murphy's Oil Soap as a lube or you use
something else? I hope to learn something from this as my next project is to
try sealing the tires on the rubber tired wagon I use for the generator. At
least 3 of them have come completely off the beads and are loose on the rims
at the moment. They all went down over the winter and I think it is from drying
out.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson