[AT] Sealing a tire to a rim

Alan Riley ariley at cox-internet.com
Thu Apr 29 23:08:41 PDT 2004

Charlie,

A couple of years back there was a discussion on bead
sealers.  Someone (I don't recall who) had mentioned
they had used WD-40 to soften the tire bead so it would
seal.  I tried it on a couple of old trailer tires and a lawnmower
tire successfully and reported back to the group.  Several
people then advised against using any petroleum-based
products for that purpose.

My success was rather short-lived - it wasn't long before
one trailer tire and the lawnmower tire beads began leaking
again.  I went to NAPA and bought a quart of their bead
sealer, broke the tires down again, and applied the sealer.
No more leaks to date.

Good luck,
Alan Riley
Deville, LA