[AT] Holiday Charity Auction Results

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Wed Apr 28 04:38:23 PDT 2004

> Walt,  Won't get into a pissin contest but in Vietnam red cross charged the
> Marines and sailors money for donuts even if they were hikin out of the bush
> where they been for 2 weeks.  NOTHING and I mean not even coffee was free.
> And was the Same during Desert Storm I would I wouldn't give them the sweat
> off my B.... oh  well you get the idea.  When they were set up to manage all
> that money for 9/11 I talked to all the guys at my VFW at yearly get
> together and everyone without exception from VietNam and later was in
> accord.  What used to get none by RC for free is now done by Service
> Fraternal Orgs. and that's still true right now according to other  Navy
> Chiefs I contacted since your post. The Red Cross we knew as a kid went bye
> bye in the 50's and hasn't come home.  Oh true there a good one out there
> but THEY are the Exception now not the other way around.  Mismanagement and
> money is the rule not the exception now.  Just MHO, John
> John Cable

	I have to put in my two cents worth here too. I happen to have some
personal experience with this situation too. When I was shipped overseas in
late September 1953 and we were waiting near the ship to board in New York
City, the Red Cross was there on the docks selling coffee, soft drinks and
sandwiches to the troops. (If I remember right, there were 2500 or so Army
boys on that ship and some of us from the Air Force.) When we disembarked in
Bremerhaven, Germany about 10 days later, the Salvation Army was there waiting
for us on the dock and was giving away FREE sandwiches, coffee and soft drinks.

	When I was called up with the rest of the men in the NY National Guard's
27th Armored Division for riot duty in Rochester, New York in the mid 1960's,
the same thing happened. Why the Red Cross seems to think they should charge
for these things which the Salvation Army gives away is something I have thought
of many times over the years and have never been able to understand. I have to
say this, I have repaid the Salvation Army a thousand times over for those free
sandwiches and since that time have given exactly nothing to the Red Cross.

Cecil

what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson