[AT] Machinist setup???

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Apr 27 00:26:14 PDT 2004

I would like to get some help on how to set up a drill press to do a small
amount of repeat drilling. I'm not a machinist but I know there must be a
simple way to set up a fixture or jig so that I can produce several
identical drilled parts using a drill press.  I do have a large and small
machinist vice that I can lock down on the drill press table.

As an example I need to drill two 1/4" holes near the ends of a 3/4"
diameter steel rod. The critical dimension is the distance between the holes
not the distance from the ends of the rods. The tolerances are not tight. If
I can get within + or - 0.100" between the holes I would be ecstatic. I am
cutting the rods to length with a steel band saw so the lengths of the rods
will vary a little bit and that isn't critical. I would like to get the
holes at each end of the rod fairly centered, end to end but the dimension I
need to control is the distance between holes, center to center.

Is there a simple way to fixture this so I can get some repeatability and
consistency with the tools I have available to me? I suspect those of you
who are machinists or have machinists skills have had to do this several
times.  I'm a shade tree mechanic trying to do something I don't have
experience doing. Any help would be appreciated.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

A failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not
strong enough.--John Christian Bovee

www.deerelegacy.com