[AT] Work Day at Portland

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Sun Apr 25 06:44:37 PDT 2004

    Yesterday was the volunteer work day at the Tri-State club
grounds at Portland, Indiana. The big poject this year was
clearing fence rows from the new land the club has purchased
next to the Jay County fairgrounds. The club has added about 75
acres to the site for additional selling space and will allow
tractor tillage operations starting this year.
    We started at 7:00 am with coffee and doughnuts and then
about 8:00 am we all went acros the fairgrounds to the new
ground. There was several thousand feet of very overgrown fence
rows that we tackled with chainsaws, bulldozer, skid loaders,
tractors with loaders and about 40 able-bodied volunteers. This
was really quite a sight to see as all the wild brush
disappeared and ended up in massive piles to be burned.
    I had an opportunity to get to know a lot of the members
and officers of the club and help bond the association with
A.T.I.S. and the Tri-State club.
    I had hoped to see a few more members of the list there to
help, as volunteering our services will help to assure our
camping arrangements for the summer show. Chris Englehardt will
again reserve our camp area this year. We will have the same
area as last year.
    I told Ken and Chris that we would have more volunteers
from the early arrival for the show, so hope I can deliver as I
promised.
    There will be ground working areas for those who would like
to bring a plow, disc or harrow along with their display. Only
registered displays will be able to participate.
    This was a very productive day for all involved and a very
satisfying accomplishment.

        Gene Dotson, Portland Campmaster