[AT] tractor engine

Tom tmartin at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 23 11:59:41 PDT 2004

charlie hill wrote:

> To heck with the engine and the tool box.  I want to see the machine shop
> they turned the bearing surfaces in.
>
> Actually Allis Chalmers built some engines about that size in the early
> 70's.  They didn't have as much rated HP but the actual engine size was
> similar.   I still wonder how they turn the bearing journals.
>
> Charlie

I didn't think Allis was into large marine engines, Fiat was.
Perhaps that was the connection?

As for machining the cranks, the cranks are of built up construction,the throws
being machined before the main bearing
journals are shrunk in and the crank assembled. After assembly
the mains are then remachined.

I've posted some pics of a throw, one being machined, and a crank
shaft lathe that is capable of machining the crank of the big Sulzer. Capacity
300 tons:

http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/crnkthrow.jpg

Tom