[AT] Mustang/now 'first time start-ups'

Grant Weir grantweird at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 18 08:28:36 PDT 2004

The last time I fired a newly rebuilt engine was a couple of years ago when
we fired our Wallis for the first time.  It was January or February or some
other cold month because I remember it was far, far below freezing outside
and too cold to roll the tractor out.  After liberal dosages of "shimstock"
we decided that we could not wait for spring and lit er' up for the first
time right there in the garage (18' x 26') with the doors closed.  I had it
totally ready to go and knew it would start and boy did it start!  We only
ran it for about a minute as the noise coming from that straight pipe was
really something.  My buddy Doug claimed my Dad jumped at least a foot off
the ground when it barked. Ha ha!  It scared the hell right out of all of us
- we all shook for 1/2 an hour after.  Good thing we had lots more beer.

On a more technical note, the engine did not smoke in any way right from the
get-go.  I installed NOS pistons and sleeves including rings and it did not
even leave a spatter mark on the ceiling of the garage - which was only
about 4" away at the time of the 'incident'. :-)  We started it with the
crank the first time too - no sissy 'belting up to another tractor' stuff
here!  :-)

Oh yeah, and I always literally 'dunk' pistons into a can of clean oil
before I put it into a bore.  There is no way (in my opinion...) you can use
too much lube during engine assembly.  You CAN use too good of a lube but
never too much.  Use a cheapo grade engine oil for assembly and the rings
will seat just fine.  Use a slippery synthetic or the like and the rings
won't seat right.  Use the cheapo oil for the engine break-in then switch to
expensive slippery oils later.  One more thing I like to do is I always drop
the oil after the first time I start and run an engine.  I usually only let
the first oil stay in there for a few minutes, then I change it.  Most
people will say to run it for several hours but I think there is way too
much initial 'engine assembly' crap and dust in there to leave it run for
that long.  Oil is still pretty cheap, at least in comparison to the cost of
rebuilding your newly rebuilt rebuild.

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada