[AT] Mustang

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Sun Apr 18 07:48:22 PDT 2004

Spencer,

Here comes a bit of heresy...

I recently fixed up a couple Cub engines that were near the upper wear
limits.  To help somewhat with the end gap problem, I used +.020 rings and
filed them individually to the correct minimum end gap.  Both engines ran
well without smoke after the assembly oil was gone.

Both engines were found with badly stuck rings.  As you know, the sides of
the ring grooves are a very important part of the sealing.  They were
cleaned very carefully.  I've been curious what would have happened if the
original rings and grooves were carefully cleaned so the rings could do
their job and the engine re-assembled without even honing?  I'm sure it
would have made a huge improvement.

A bore worn with a slight taper would keep the rings moving slightly in the
grooves and make them less likely to stick... so the wear isn't necessarily
all bad.  What do you think?

George Willer