[AT] Mustang

Spencer Yost Spencer.Yost at piedmontsystems.com
Sat Apr 17 20:21:53 PDT 2004

Just wanted to let you folks now that the Massey Harris Mustang I have been working on over the last several weeks has come to life!

Everything went pretty smooth except I was quite surprised at the amount of smoke the first 10 to 15 minutes.   MUCH more than any other engine I had ever done.  Man did that thing smoke like a 20 year old marine diesel for 5 minutes.  Then it died down to something a little more reasonable.  After about 15 minutes, when I was getting it ready to shut down for the second head torque-ing, it had stopped burning oil and started running clean.

I'd love to hear some "new engine startup" stories from you folks to see if anyone else had any problems with the engine smoking excessively at first start-up.

Other than that, it runs really well.   I just have some adjustments to make.

Spencer