[AT] Oil drain plugs?

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Apr 16 11:03:43 PDT 2004

There is an easy way to replace many drain plugs by using the next size
up plug. For instance I have used a US threaded plug to replace a metric
one that was stripped. I do retap the threads before this though. What I
usually do is pull the old plug, let the oil drain. Find the correct
plug and tap. Then fill the tap with a light grease to trap as much as
possible. Then screw in the new plug. dump a gallon of diesel in the
engine and let it sit a while, then pull the new plug and watch all the
crud and any left over metal come running out. Just consult a drill/tap
table for the size you have and get the next one up off the rack at the
parts store.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY