[AT] Oil drain plugs?

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Apr 16 04:59:14 PDT 2004

	Has anybody come across oversize or tapered replacement oil
drain plugs? Its a common problem especially on stuff where
others often change oil like cars and trucks. "Two Ton
Torque Ted" works at the local filling station or quick
change place and he thinks (or just doesn't) that an oil
drain plug tightened to 150 ft. pounds is loose...   :-)  He
is a first cousin to that guy that used a 350 ft. pound
impact wrench on your new aluminum wheels and ruined two of
them. That guy is responsible for half of the warped brake
rotors replaced each year.   ;-)
	I have never stripped the threads on a plug but I have
bought a lot of vehicles with partially stripped plugs.
Actually it is worse than stripped plug threads because some
how it is usually the threads in the pan that strip. I have
used the rubber plugs that you stick in the hole and tighten
with an allen wrench until they mushroom inside of the pan
to seal it but I don't really like them. I have also used
but don't like those repair plugs where you force screw a
self tapping plug with a threaded hole in it for a smaller plug.
	It would seem to me that a better product would be a
replacement plug with the same TPI but made with a taper a
little like a pipe plug. Maybe even a plug that was only a
few thousandths bigger that was tapered on the end for easy
starting.
	I have on occasion drilled the pan out and tapped the hole
for a larger plug but even with a bit of flushing I worry
about missing filings in the pan. Many of today's vehicles
require removing everything but the license plate to take
the pan off to make a repair.
	I noticed when I changed to oil on the Lincoln that one of
the drain plugs was about done for. I'll try just buying a
new plug and tightening it gingerly. I also noticed that
when I took out the secondary plug it looked and felt like
that was the first time it had ever been removed. I guess
they had always just left the dirty oil in that sump each
time. The PO had always had a quickie place change oil.
	Any new ideas out there?
--

"farmer"

"Those are not carbs, those are potatoes."

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net